3) The Ontario Hockey League held it’s priority draft over the weekend. Two local players were selected. Thamesville’s Lucas Vanroboys was drafted by the Hamilton Bulldogs and Kier Cumming by the Sudbury Wolves.
— Blackburn News CK (@BlackburnCK) April 11, 2015
4) Hillary Clinton is running for president in 2016.
5) Today is Scrabble Day, honouring one of the world’s most popular games on the anniversary of the 1899 birth date of its inventor, Alfred Butts, a jobless architect who came up with the idea during the Great Depression of the 1930s.
A few facts …
- Among the proposed names for early versions of ‘Scrabble’ were ‘Lexiko’ and ‘Criss Cross Words’.
- After ‘Scrabble’ was trademarked in 1948, the game was manufactured by friends and family, who painstakingly stamped letters on wooden tiles one at a time. The rate of production: 12 games an hour.
- The game was just a fad with Butts’ friends until a Macy’s executive saw it being played at a resort in 1952 and the then-world’s largest department store soon began carrying it.